Col. John Williams, the man for whom Williamsville was named, came to Springfield in 1824 and began working in Major Elijah Iles mercantile. Shortly after purchasing the business, he served with Iles and Abraham Lincoln in the Black Hawk War in 1832. Col. Williams and Abraham Lincoln become close friends.
Map, surveyor’s map of Town of Williamsville, Sangamon County
Paper, tan mat, brushed gold frame
Sangamon County, c.1865
The original survey map created when the town of Williamsville was incorporated in February of 1865 – Museum collection
Map, roll-up map of Sangamon County produced by Illinois State journal
This turn of century map shows all of the townships within Sangamon County. Williams Township and Williamsville are located in the north central part of the county – Museum collection
Prints, Ostendorf (Top: Lincoln in front of New Salem Post Office; Middle: Lincoln meeting with his cabinet; Bottom: Lincoln and Col. John Williams shaking hands)
Paper, brown wooden frame
Lloyd Ostendorf, an artist, historian and collector of Lincoln memorabilia, created over 150 illustrations representing many episodes of Lincoln’s life.